A culinary mistake that turned into a masterpiece
Legend has it that the Caprese Cake was accidentally created in the distant 1920s by a Caprese pastry chef named Carmine di Fiore. At that time, the island of Capri was also frequented by questionable characters, including the famous Al Capone. Di Fiore was preparing an almond cake for three very special guests but, due to distraction or perhaps fear, he forgot to add the necessary amount of flour. Unaware of the mistake, he still baked the cake.
Surprisingly, the Caprese cake turned out to be an authentic masterpiece: soft and moist in the center with a crispy crust on the outside. This accidental dessert soon became famous worldwide, representing one of the symbols of Neapolitan pastry culture.
- 220 g of dark chocolate
- 200 g of almonds
- 200 g of sugar
- 150 g of butter
- 4 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Toast the almonds on a baking sheet for about 15 minutes, then finely chop them.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites.
- Beat the egg whites into stiff peaks with 50 grams of sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a double boiler until smooth and creamy.
- In a bowl, cream the softened butter together with the remaining sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, making sure they are well incorporated before adding the next one.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the bowl with the butter and sugar. Also, add the chopped almonds and mix everything well.
- Finally, gently fold in the beaten egg whites, mixing from bottom to top.
- Grease a 20 cm diameter cake pan and pour the mixture into it.
- Bake the cake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 45 minutes, or until the surface is golden and the cake is dry to the touch.
A fresh and fragrant variation: Lemon Caprese Cake
If you want to give your Caprese Cake a touch of freshness, you can try a delicious lemon variation. In this version, replace the dark chocolate with white chocolate and add grated lemon zest and lemon flavor to the batter. This will give the cake an even more inviting flavor and an appealing appearance.
Explore the delights of Neapolitan culinary tradition with the Caprese Cake
The Neapolitan Caprese Cake is a dessert that enchants all those who have the privilege of tasting it. Its moist texture and the perfect combination of almonds and chocolate make it an irresistible treat for pastry lovers. Its fascinating history, born from a culinary mistake, has made this cake a symbol of the Neapolitan pastry tradition.
Prepare it following the original recipe and let yourself be captivated by its unique flavors. Bring a piece of Capri to your kitchen and delight your family and friends with this magnificent sweet creation. Enjoy your meal!